Covering a tremendous sweep of Tasmania's wild and iconic southwest we travel in a small van as well as on foot, by kayak, by train and under sail.
Tour Highlights include:
- Stay 4 nights (private lodge) on ruggedly spectacular Bruny Island (access by vehicle ferry only)
- Full day of sea kayaking with Sea Kayaking Bruny Island
- Hike Bruny - Fluted Cape and Cape Queen Elizabeth
- Also … Bruny Lighthouse, local art studio and stops to sample delicious local fare
- Stay 3 nights at Pedder Wilderness Lodge in the Franklin Gordon Wild Rivers NP
- Kayak on Lake Pedder with Tassie Bound
- View the spectacular engineering of the Gordon Dam
- Hike a beautiful valley to glacier carved Lake Judd in Southwest NP
- Stay 2 nights at Derwent Bridge Chalets (self contained, shared facilities)
- Hike the lovely Shadow Lake Circuit beneath Mt Rufus in Cradle Mountain/Lake St Clair NP
- Drive through some of the world’s most mineral rich landscapes on the Lyell Highway to Queenstown and on to Strahan
- Take the half-day ‘Rack and Gorge – Wilderness Class’ trip on the famous steam train with the West Coast Wilderness Railway from Queenstown
- Stay 2 nights at waterfront Risby Cove on Strahan Harbour
- Hike to Ocean Beach where the Indian Ocean breaks on a wild, wide shore
- Enjoy interactive and fun theatre at ‘The Ship That Never Was’
- Explore the Historic Foreshore and the Huon Pine Precinct in Strahan
- Overnight aboard the ‘Stormbreaker’ – sailing up Macquarie Harbour via Sarah Island and overnight at Heritage Landing nestled in the silence of the Gordon River – truly awesome!
- Stay 1 night at The Empire Hotel in Deloraine for our final dinner. On the final day, take the byways through historic villages en route to Launceston
Based in Boonah (Queensland) Teresa Cause set up Horizon Guides in 2007 to offer a specialised bushwalking guide service. She has extensive experience in guiding tours in Australia and overseas with a particular emphasis on natural history. Providing experiences that connect people to places and to each other is especially rewarding! Teresa also owns and runs Far Outdoors outdoor equipment business in Boonah.
Born and raised in Pyengana Lesley Nicklason describes herself as … "a 4th generation local, Blue Tier protection campaigner for 25 years, wilderness lover, big tree hunter, mother, grandmother, nurse and inveterate bushwalker". Lesley is all this and more and it is a delight to have her co-guide this Tasmania journey!
Arriving early – staying after? There are myriad reasons to arrive early for this tour – and to stay longer!
Hobart: If you arrive before the tour Hobart has much of historical and contemporary interest. Here are a few links to get you started …
Salamanca Market – Saturday mornings.
Cascade Brewery – can be reached by walking along the Rivulet
Female Factory (highly recommended – and best experienced by taking the guided tour and experiential theatre tour)
Mawson’s Hut replica museum – excellent!
Museum of Old and New Art (MONA) (requires a full day)
Port Arthur – thoroughly great experiences to take in on the Tasman Peninsula
Design Tasmania wood and craft centre – fine craft gallery and store.
Clarendon House near Evandale
We look forward to walking with you all and sharing these magnificent Tassie tracks!
Tour SummaryDates: TBA Cost: $TBA pp twin share ex Hobart ends Launceston Guests: 7 (minimum) -10 (maximum) Accommodation: 13 nights accommodation Inclusions: 13 nights accommodation All meals as listed in the itinerary Transfers & travel as per daily schedule National Park day use fees Services of a Eco-tourism accredited walking guide & driver Notes: The tour cost does not include airfares or other associated travel expenses, costs of joining the tour after it has commenced or leaving before it has finished, travel insurance, personal expenses such as drinks, laundry, telephone or any optional excursions. FAQ: For more information on walk gradings, suitability of walks and weather conditions please visit our FAQ page.
- Lake Pedder kayaking Lake Pedder kayaking
- Strahan sunset Strahan sunset
- Ocean Beach - Strahan Ocean Beach - Strahan
- Risby Cove - Strahan accommodation Risby Cove - Strahan accommodation
- Shadow Lake Circuit - Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair NP Shadow Lake Circuit - Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair NP
- Cape Queen Elizabeth walk - Bruny Island Cape Queen Elizabeth walk - Bruny Island
- Bruny Island - White Correa Bruny Island - White Correa
- Bruny Island - Adventure Bay Bruny Island - Adventure Bay
- Bruny Island white wallaby Bruny Island white wallaby
- Bruny Island Lighthouse Bruny Island Lighthouse